View this email in your browser (|ARCHIVE|)
“The only one you should compare yourself to is you. Your mission is to become better today than you were yesterday. You do that by focusing on what you can do today to improve and grow.” - John Maxwell.
Have you ever heard of the term “FOMO”? It’s an acronym that stands for “Fear of Missing Out” and has been utilized for the past few years when referencing someone who feels they would be missing out on a great time. This often comes via people scrolling through social media or can even come from talking with someone who lives a life you may think you want.
While I may be a self-help influencer who always preaches his love for long-term gratification, I actually have negative feelings sometimes when it comes to comparing my life to others. Now I am 100% aware it is not their fault but this mainly occurs when my friends who live in the city talk about the life they live and how much fun they had doing something.
I currently live in the suburbs of Chicago and while I enjoy my family life there are some days when I absolutely wished I lived in the city with my friends. Then I remember my goals and aspirations for life and things get a little bit easier. For example, let’s take 3 years of living investments and showcase what the compound effect of that money could mean by the time my life is up.
If you take about $12,000 a year and multiply that by 3 years you get $36,000. That’s not a little amount of cheese in the grand scheme of things if you do a little compound calculation. If you take $36,000 and invest it into the S&P 500 with the expectation that it’ll return about 10% every year for 40 years then guess what you’ll end up with? Over $1.5 million...
With that in mind, it puts things into perspective. What are you missing out on when you say to yourself you will forgo future financial prosperity for the enjoyment of living with your friends for a few years? Hear me out... if you can justify to yourself that living with your parents for a year or so after college is not worth more than a fair amount of money then sure go ahead and do it.
As for me, I’m going to do my best to appreciate the situation and reference this newsletter anytime I feel FOMO about living in the city and going out for a $100 night.
Have an awesome week!
** ⭐ Check These Out
- 📚 Try Audible Free for 30 Days (https://amzn.to/3twJKKH)
- 🗓️ Notion to Google Calendar Sync Addon (https://notion-automations.com?via=riseproductive)
- ❓ Try Nord VPN (https://nordvpn.org/riseproductive)
- 📽️ The Best YouTube Tool (https://www.tubebuddy.com/riseproductive)
- 💻 Our Favorite Tools (https://riseproductive.com/resources-and-tools)
- 🖱️ Our Essential Products (https://riseproductive.com/my-essential-products)
** ❤️ My Weekly Favorites
- 🎵 Don’t Let The Light Go Out - Panic! At The Disco (https://open.spotify.com/track/2Tg7Tc4H50u11aDpmSRQTB?si=00f13f07047b4a59)
- 🎙️ Your Weakness Can Be Your Strength - The Daily Stoic Podcast (https://open.spotify.com/episode/7nhznHZsOLz2yFE1i7auS5?si=ypWCwsIuQY-t9_WJwATFxA)
** ✍️ Quote of the Week
“Life-hoarding (as I coined it) keeps you stuck to your stuff, slow to action, and ironically, makes you miss out on greater joyful experiences.” - ****Richie Norton
** 🎙️ Today’s Podcast
- FOMO is All About Perspective - Productive Brew 75 (https://anchor.fm/riseproductive)
============================================================ Copyright © |CURRENT_YEAR| |LIST:COMPANY|, All rights reserved. |IFNOT:ARCHIVE_PAGE| |LIST:DESCRIPTION|
Our mailing address is: |LIST_ADDRESS| |END:IF|
Want to stop receiving emails? You can simply ** unsubscribe from this list (|UNSUB|) .
|IF:REWARDS| |REWARDS_TEXT| |END:IF|